Do You Have Legal Rights To Your Grandchildren?

One of the most fulfilling joys in life is seeing your children become parents. As a grandparent, you want to take advantage of every opportunity to love and spoil your grandchildren. Unfortunately, a dispute between your child and their co-parent can jeopardize the time you can spend with the kiddos.

You may face an uphill battle as a grandparent in Texas. The United States Supreme Court and the state of Texas do not automatically recognize a grandparent’s right to see their grandchildren. The law assumes that parents can make that decision based on the best interests of the child — but you still have options. If you have a good relationship with your child and the other parent, then you may need only to ask to see your grandchildren. If the parents refuse to let you see them, you may need to pursue the matter in court.

This arrangement is not always easy, but the attorneys at Sean Lynch are ready to be your advocate.

The Conditions Must Be Right

Under the following circumstances, grandparents may gain conservatorship over their grandchildren:

  • If a parent is deceased
  • If a parent is in jail or prison
  • If a parent is not living with your grandchild at the time
  • If a court rules a parent is mentally incompetent

The court may recognize that it is your grandchildren’s best interest to see you. If your case does make it to court, you will need to show that one or more of the following conditions exist:

  • A parent who neglected or abused the children.
  • A parent’s rights are terminated.
  • A parent is divorced.
  • Your grandchild has lived with you for at least six months.

Remember, proving these circumstances pertain only to visitation. If you want custody of your grandchild, we can help you address that, too.

Our Staff Can Help

If you believe that your situation may entitle you to visitation or custody of your grandchild, now is the time to get help. It is in your best interest, and perhaps in the best interests of your grandchildren, to sit down and discuss your circumstances with an attorney at Sean Lynch.

Contact us via email or at 817-668-6704 today to schedule an appointment at our Fort Worth office.

Our Reviews

Sean Lynch Family Law

City Center II, 301 Commerce Street Suite 2900, Fort Worth

3.9 72 reviews

  • lauradoesstuff andmore ★★★★★ 6 months ago
    Hired Mr. Lynch to represent me in a divorce case. He handled it professionally and answered every question I had during the whole process quickly. He got the court to agree with what I wanted and I am now divorced. Would recommend him … read more to friends and family.
  • Catherine Jones ★★★★★ 3 months ago
    Sean was extraordinary, patient and helpful throughout my lengthy and tedious divorce process. He provided a balance of supportive advocacy and pragmatism in his advice, and helped ensure the outcome was to everyone's benefit. I hope … read more to never need a family law attorney again, but if I do, he'll be the one I call.
  • B Hill ★★★★★ a year ago
    Sean Lynch is very professional, and is very in tune with the needs of his clients. He is quick to resolve problems and finds the best solution for them. He knows Family Law and is very respectful of all the feelings that come along with … read more a case. Sean keeps you in the loop of communication. And you will know the process of your case. Not only is Sean a Top Attorney, he is also a wonderful human being. Yes, he is a good guy! Sean also quoted me a fair price that met my budget. And Sean does not give up, he stays the course until a solution is final. I would do business with Sean anytime!